Buy a Home
First Time HomeBuyer Education & Counseling
Curious about homeownership? Want to know how to get started? We can answer all your questions!
The NeighborWorks(R) HomeOwnership Center of Central Massachusetts is pleased to offer classes and counseling to educate you about buying your first home. By taking the class you’ll also receive a certification that allows you access to certain loan programs and down payment assistance.
Please watch the video below for an overview of our services
First Time Home Buyer Education Options:
$65 for 1 person/$110 for two – You hear directly from industry experts about the home buying process. You must register for classes ahead of time. You can sign up here. Classes are once a month and run from 5:30pm-8:30pm Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings. Your fee also includes a free follow-up one-on-one appointment including a free soft credit check and mortgage readiness review.
March 13-15- Please note due to the snow this class has been cancelled.
$100 per person – We also offer the “The Road Home” Online Course. This online course leads you through the material at your own pace. This course has a final exam and an in-person exit interview is required. The exit interview includes a free soft credit check and mortgage document review.
First Time Home Buyer Counseling:
Instead of taking a course, you can sign up for a one-on-one appointment to review your mortgage readiness. You can review credit, budgeting, savings, and affordability with one of our highly trained counselors. The fee is $20 for an optional soft credit check. See how much you can afford! To sign up click here.
508-791-2170 ext. 226
First Time Homebuyer Speakers
Sue Katz, American Consumer Credit Counseling, Inc.
Brian Grout, Citizens Bank
Jasmine Ortiz, Keller Williams Realty
Adam Camosse, Homeinex Corporation
Gregory Sandoval, Liberty Mutual Insurance
Oneida Fuentes, MassHousing
Nicholas W. Daviau, Daviau Law Offices, PC
First Time Homebuyer Resources
- Know Your Numbers – Short video explaining the basics of qualifying for a mortgage
- Mymassmortgage.org – Website covering the major affordable mortgage options and other resources for first time homebuyers
- Equity Builder, Federal Home Loan Bank of Boston – Grants for down payment assistance throughout New England
- Consumer Money Matters, Massachusetts Division of Banks – Helpful resources on a variety of home buying and personal finance topics
- MassHousing – The state’s affordable housing finance agency with information on loan products for low and moderate income first time homebuyers
- Mass Housing Partnership – Statewide housing non-profit specializing in loans for low-income homebuyers
- Annual Credit Report – The only truly free source to receive the free annual credit report everyone is entitled to
- Citizens’ Housing and Planning Association (CHAPA) – Describes the Homeownership Collaborative and the Code of Ethics that the NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Center participates in.
- Down Payment Resources – Find out if you’re eligible for some down payment assistance.